Thursday, March 10

pat's, stencils, and more (happy) tears


There's a really strange, but really awesome furniture store in North Park, San Diego called Pat's. You can click here to read a great review and learn a little more about it:) Behind Pat's is a yard that is something like a furniture graveyard. I got this weird little chair with mis-matched upholstery, but beautiful, detailed wood, for about $10.


And this coffee table for $25. I have big plans for both of these pieces!


I also got this pretty wood frame for $2


I used some burlap-ish cloth as a mat, drew a charcoal sketch version of this guy, and viola! Quick, free art:)


But back to furniture: I've been wanting to try my hand at painting a design on a table-top for a while, and this sad little end table that I found by a dumpster seemed like a good piece to experiment on.


I ripped off the weird leaf, resiny thing, patched up the holes, sanded it down, primed it, and gold-leafed it.


Then I added three stripes (in 3 different thicknesses), and used a box-cutter and stencil paper to create a stencil based on this art deco-looking design.


I'm actually not that pleased with how it turned out, but it was just a practice-run anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.


And last but not least, here I am yesterday, dropping Lovely off at her residential program. I cried, (again!) but I'm very happy for her:) 


Hope everyone is having a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Oh this is so great to see what you've done with your Pat's scores! So you live in San Diego too? Thats rad!! We need to have a Pat's, craft and coffee date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane - I would love that!!! Let's make it happen soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love all of this, the furniture the frame and the picture of you and your friend Lovely. Can't wait to see what you do with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi mary grace,

    i love this table, you are so talented and crafty!

    i am too...i tied a bow!

    xo
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary grace! I love love love the table!!! And so glad you have great friends like you do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Pat's, we've gotten some stuff there before. I always feel like I need extra hand sanitizer when I am there though...

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE when people leave comments:) I seriously get excited over every single one.

I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are being a meany-meany-poopie-head.