Wednesday, July 6

an end table make-over and an upholstery decision


This little fella is another one of my roadside-rescue projects. I didn't let the fact that I was out jogging and the top of the table was completely missing stop me from snatching it up and taking it home!


I've been experimenting a lot lately with what I like to call "mixed-media furniture", so weaving a top for the end table made for great practice:) Add some sea-green paint and a bit of light distressing, and I ended up with an end table that would look right at home in a beach cottage.



And now for a before/after project that is still very much in the beginning stages. The last time you saw this half of my living room, it looked like this:


Well, I sold those chairs, and in their place we have this chair:


and this chair:


Step one was to sand the original finish off of the armchair. Time had not been good to it and it was a little rough-looking in places. I'm almost done with the sanding, then I'm going to stain it to match the chair above. The question, then, is what to do about the upholstery! I'd like to re-upholster them in matching fabric, or at least color-coordinated fabric.


Right now it's just covered in this red vintage table cloth, but I've narrowed my options for a more permanent upholstery job down to these three:


 A) Wool Blanket: Something stripey like a Hudson's Bay blanket, inspired by the chair above. The smaller chair could then be upholstered in the leftover blanket material, or in a solid fabric that matches one of the blanket's colors.


B) Neutral: This is the route I usually go with furniture, because I prefer to let the accents like pillows and throws "do the talking" (i.e. be colorful and bold). I have a lot of white linen fabric that looks similar in texture to the chair pictured above.


 C) Whimsical: I love this chair from anthropologie, and I found similar, Monet-inspired fabrics that I think would look really cool.


 It might be a little much to do both chairs in this fabric, so I'd probably just do the bigger chair in the Monet, and the smaller chair in a solid, color-coordinated fabric.


So should I go for A, B, or C?

vote! vote! vote!

8 comments:

  1. i would love to know how you did the weave on that table it looks incredible! and i vote c with a solid!! love it, can't wait to see what you come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote is for C or A!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like B-maybe with a C pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mary grace...i love this room...katrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. mary grace...i LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE when people leave comments:) I seriously get excited over every single one.

I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are being a meany-meany-poopie-head.