Wednesday, July 13

a year later: the guest bedroom is finally just how I want it


 I'm breaking from my usual tradition of updating along the way of a room re-do, and going straight to the finished product pictures. The guest bedroom is finally, finally ..... FINALLY finished!  And I am so happy. See the pillows in the photo above? I dyed them myself:)


I bought a cheapo bedskirt from Target and dyed it as well in a stripey, splattery pattern.


This project inspired me to start collecting color samples by dipping card stock in paint, coffee,  or whatever else I think is a pretty color and something I might like to remember. Weird, I know, but I like it!


Just about the only thing in the room that hasn't changed is the location of the bookcase and Picasso prints above it. 


The credenza on the right I built myself. It has a loooooong way to go before it's all done, but it already provides a great work surface and tons of storage. See the giant gold knobs? I made them out of mason jar tops:)


This picture of me and my mama was my inspiration for the big blue painting on the far right. I put the canvas on a wall and used the projector to trace the image, and then embellished it with shades of blue paint.


I'm finally content with the room, and I don't think I'll be changing it for a long time. I hope you enjoyed the reveal, even though you didn't have to wait for it!

10 comments:

  1. MG it looks sooo good but i can't believe you just skipped over that incredible credenza YOU MADE?!?! i wanna see some up close detail pics and a tutorial :) it seriously looks incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing darling! You are a creative genius!

    xo,
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  3. This room is so unique and beautiful! I love how you've dyed the pillows and bedskirt...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that painting is precious! that's such a good idea w/ the projector! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The room is so fun and just lovely. I really want to do a similar project like your pillows with dip dying in a blue shade. Any special trick/technique to the "ragged' edge you achieved?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh I love how you did the pretty painting of you and mrs. Janie!! so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!!!!!

    Laina - Haha, thank you! I'll have to do a follow-up post with the dimensions of everything in case someone else wants to make one. I kinda made it up as I went along, but it was very cheap and it's perfect for what I needed: storage and a work table.

    Mrs. B - The ragged-ness was sort of a happy accident. I was just trying to wring out the extra dye at the top and it created those spikey edges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! You did a great job in this room re-do, the person whose going to have a chance to be here would definitely have a wonderful stay. I love what you did in the pillow cases and the bed skirt it complimented each other nicely. And the room look so comfy and light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks fabulous! I can't wait to come and stay! Of course my favorite part is the painting of us. There are no words!
    I love you!
    XOXO
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  10. The painting of you and your mom is INCREDIBLE! Really, really beautiful. Loving what you did with this space as a whole too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE when people leave comments:) I seriously get excited over every single one.

I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are being a meany-meany-poopie-head.