Wednesday, February 9

a bit about the new design

Lately I just can't get enough of ads, illustrations, borders and fonts from the 1920's and 30's, and I decided to overhaul my blog design (again!) in the style of an ad from that era. Here are a few things I noticed about the ads that I tried to incorporate into the blog's new look:


sunbursts...


LOTS of different fonts...

(the fonts I used for the banner and new buttons all came from fontspace, under "art deco". Click here to download them for yourself!)



And the beautiful and unique color schemes! I love the mustard yellow in the ad below. 


And here we have an ad by General Electric, showing us how useful it is to have several outlets per room. That way you can read in bed, curl your hair, vacuum, and even turn lights off and on right by the door! Oh, the convenience! Aren't the colors lovely? Pink, orange, cobalt blue and turquoise, all in one room? Yes, please.


Of course, having the new design means I won't be needing my silhouette buttons any more. If any of you have use for them, just send me an email at whitewaxflower@gmail.com and I'd be more than happy to send you the file. I'd love for them to go to good homes;)


In other news, in my most recent Jigsaw post, Moe commented that I should decorate him according to the holidays. I embraced this idea whole-heartedly, and bedecked him with paper hearts for eyes like on those silly retro cartoons. I already know what he'll be wearing for Easter, too!



And finally, and I say this with a bit of embarrassment because I know some people think OOTD's are lame, today I'm posting my first-ever OOTD post (that's "Outfit of the Day", in fancy fashion-blogger talk). This isn't actually my outfit from today, it's my outfit from Monday, when I had fancy places to be.


necklace: vintage
shirt/belt: Anne Taylor Loft
skirt: H&M
shoes: vintage



PS  Re: my byline in the banner ... just in case anyone was wondering, I'm not really a detective, but I do plan to be just like Nancy Drew when I grow up.

Hope you guys like the new look!

10 comments:

  1. lol @ being like Nancy Drew when you grow up and at Jigsaw's holiday look - love it.

    You know what I find interesting about old-school ads? I think if the pictures were all crisp and HD, and obviously if the content were a little different (I don't think outlets are such a big sell these days, lol), they could be today's ads. I could totally picture the room from that GE one in a magazine today.

    Oh and also, I love your OOTD, especially the skirt. So cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on a vintage spree too! That's actually my favorite pastime at work when we are not busy, googling vintage ads! My favorite are the happy housewife ads form the 50's. I love the outlet ad, and the whole Lucy & Ricky separate beds thing going on here, too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the new look is fabulous, and i love your ootd! those are great cause they give me ideas of cute ways to dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like seeing little MG in her natural habitat.

    And can I just say that I love your hair all over again every day?

    The 20's seem to be a going theme in bloggoland today. Casey's Musing did a post on vintage unmentionables today and I cute out my cloche hat this afternoon.

    And I totes love jigsaw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the best post ever! I really think he looks less scary with those eyes!! great job :) :) :)

    love the new look of the blog too! Almost didn't recognize where I was when I clicked lol..I think you did a great job using those ads as your inspiration. thumbs up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Polyvorina - I thought the same thing about the GE room ... it looks just like a room that Elle Decor would feature!

    Ariel - Those 50's housewife ads crack me up, too! Some of them are so ridiculously sexist, LOL ... like "Get the little lady a new broom for Christmas, it's just what she needs!!!"

    Laina - Thank you! I'm glad you guys don't think it's lame;)

    Snarktastical - Aww, thanks for the hair-compliment ... I'm so glad you encouraged me to go for it! And I'm looking forward to seeing how your cloche hat turns out. If you ever open an etsy shop I'm buying one from you!

    Moe - Thanks! I'm glad you like the new look ... it's my favorite so far, I think:) And I think the eyes make him less scary too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the silhouettes, but I'm loving the retro-inspired banner, too. You're so creative, and because of that, I enjoyed the OOTD post! I think they're a fun way to show personality on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing your blog inspiration.
    Be sure to stop by my blog to see the latest women's day post.
    Have a great weekend.
    Xo,
    E&J

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the redesign but I was wondering if there was a reason you put white waxflower on the right and written by Mary Grace on the left? Not that it was confusing but I think since we read left to right it might flow better that way. But am I missing something obvious? (It wouldn't be the first time!:) I love the new girl detective tag line--you could say that instead of searching for bad guys or missing persons you are searching out awesome style and furniture in need of being revamped :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Valentine's Day!
    Xo,
    E&J

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE when people leave comments:) I seriously get excited over every single one.

I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are being a meany-meany-poopie-head.