Wednesday, November 4

affordable art

Here is a little collection of some things that I put together myself. Don't forget that you can click on the pictures for a closer look.

The silhouette: First I bought a medium-sized, oval canvas and painted it a light cream color, then I searched on-line for silhouettes that I liked. I thought it would be interesting to take a very old-fashioned art form like the silhouette and put a modern twist on it by using the profile of a modern-looking child, so I was thrilled when I found this image. From there I simply enlarged the image, printed it out, and cut it out. Here's my makeshift stencil:

I placed it where I wanted it on the canvas, traced the paper cut-out, and filled it in with gray paint!

The "F" print: This required making a few trips out of the house for materials, but was still very easy and very cheap. I picked up the frame from Target for about 17 bucks, and I searched through old magazine articles until I found one that started with the letter F. From there I went to Kinko's and let the husband work his photo shop magic until it was blown up and printed out on some nice off-white card stock. All in all I think this ended up costing about 22 dollars, not including the Southern Living magazine, which was a gift subscription from my mama:)


The "F" block: This was a wedding present, but it was painted black with a faux-gold "antique" crackly affect. I'm more of a fan of the simple, so I just sanded it a bit and - what else - painted it white! Here's the before:

The "F' canvas: I wasn't quite sure I was going to like this project, so I didn't even bother painting the canvas in case I decided to paint over it later. I just left it blank, picked out a letter F that I liked on the internet, blew it up, printed it out, cut it out, traced it onto the canvas and then went over my trace marks with some black ink! Easy peasy. However, I am thinking of painting over it eventually and turning it into a simple drawing of an old-fashioned key.

0 comments ... click to leave a comment!:

Post a Comment

Yay! I LOVE when people leave comments:) I seriously get excited over every single one.

I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are being a meany-meany-poopie-head.